Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Letter 2 from my Granny to her daughter, dated 1939






---------
Letter scanned and emailed to me by Sonja Cudney Linder, letter is from her great grandmother to her mother.  My translation follows:
---------


Miss Louise Lynch
1125 Lyons Ave
Royal Oak, Mich

Postmarked March 15, 1939 from Carthage, Tennessee
(page 1)

Ma(r)ch

Dear daughter Louise
I will write you a (few) lines say am well and hope you (are) well. It is so shady and dark that I can't see how to write; it rained this morning, it is cooler but we haven't had enough of snow to make snow cream.

Cheatham & Aaron are out (carrying) stuff from the barn, putting over the lots so will be glad when they come to dinner. We (are having?) salet (turnip salad), ham (?) bells(?)(beans?) and meat and cabbages.

You(ng?) Aaron come over Sateday (Saturday) night got him hen for

(page 2)
Sunday for dinner. I bet (Ronnita?) (Ruth?) had a time of her life eating dinner. You bet she did. Daisey stay in bed all day Sunday, she says she feels better now,she was over to the hotel one week, I was shure was glad when she come home to. for that it lonesome for me. Katie (or Hattie?) went away did call me and I called to, said they didn't (know) how she was. You know I pule (?) out to Aaron, and got him to go see how she was and

(page 3)
I ate dinner with him, it was good. You ask me how I got my watter, is tank, Frank, he went with me, I am well enough to get it and just go to or three times in a week. Bob is like the old tail. we he look he was going to bull of the brby (?). he don't any a ward (word?) me eny (any) but he call bennie day and my (?) I think Daisy is in a bad, she hasn't say anything. you here, I know, withainer (?), love.

(note on the back)
Louise, don't say anything about nothing in this letter when you write


--------
Nancy's notes:

This letter from my grandmother Laura Louise Mullins Lynch to her daughter, Dora Louise Lynch Cudney was scanned and emailed to me from Aunt Louise's grand daughter, Sonja Cudney Linder.

Others mentioned that I know who they are:

'Daisy' is Aunt Daisy Lynch, sister of my mom, Annie Lynch Phillips, and Louise Cudney.

'Bob is great Uncle Bob Lynch, never married, lived with Aunt Daisy until his death. (My grandpa Orin Lynch's brother)

'Cheatham' is uncle Cheatham Lynch, brother of Daisy, Louise and Annie.

'Frank' is son of Cheatham Lynch and his wife Katie Hellums Lynch.

'Aaron' is Uncle Aaron Lynch, one of the twin brothers of Cheatham, Louise, Annie and Daisy.

If the person mentioned on page 2 is 'Katie', then it refers to Aunt Katie, Uncle Cheatham's wife.

If the person mentioned on page 2 is 'Hattie' then it is Hattie Myers, owner of the Hotel in Carthage.( I think it was her mother that was sister to my grandpa Lynch that married a Myers.)

If it is "Ruth" on page 2, that would be Aunt Ruth, probably, wife of Aaron Lynch.

No comments:

Post a Comment