Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

American Idol - Who is NOT going home this week?

My pick for 'Who's NOT going home" on American Idol this week, is first of all, American Idol contestant Crystal Bowersox is NOT going home, and secondly, Casey James is NOT going home.

Here's my breakdown of tonight's show:
The theme was of songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, which to me, seems to be a daunting task for some of these nine young people who remain on American Idol.

First up was young Aaron Kelly, and Simon Cowell said, "Aaron, you are seventeen, your song was old fashioned, while you should be singing something young and relevant.'"

Katie Stevens was up next, belting out "Let it Be". Randy Jackson says it "was her best performance ever" and '"that was hot!' Ellen said "Amazing!" Kara says "you're blossoming, and confident." Simon said "Tonight, you got it right!"

Third up was Andrew Garcia, with "Can't buy me Love". Randy said it was "really solid, a little corny, but okay."
Ellen piped up with "but you know, you CAN buy love", then she went on to say it was "a perfect song choice" and finished with "I loved it". Kara said "I want to love it, but..." then she continued, "I thought you could have done more with your interpretation of the song". Simon thought "the band overpowered" and that it was "old-fashioned and irrelevant".

Fourth was Michael Lynche or "Big Mike" as he has become known. At the finish of his song, Randy says he is 'loving the fact", of "seeing the artist in you blossom", Ellen thought he was 'incredible', Kara, said he was "Amazing" and "you were committed" and "Great Job!" Simon said he "didn't love it as much as the other three did", and thought "this was what you hear in musicals" and thought he was 'sliding backwards', and was 'too over the top'.

When Ryan Seacrest said before the next break that 'Bowersox Rocks us next', he absolutely got it right! Crystal Bowersox did "Rock Us" with a great rendition of "Come Together". Crystal, in her washed out, holes-in-the-knees jeans, and dangling earring, said she believes in 'stay true to yourself' as a motto and we learned that her home town of Elliston, Ohio now has a sign which says "Home of Crystal Bowersox".

I'm thinking while she is singing, "Crystal Bowersox is really knocking this one out of the park!". And it seems all the judges did agree, with Randy saying "Another solid performance", "you got into your groove", "you won me over" and "you're in the zone!" Ellen said "I just have to find a new way to tell you how great you are", and "you made it current". Kara said "one of my favorite performances", and likened the song and singer to Bonnie Raitt. Kara further said Crystal was "slinky, sexy, playful and smiling" during her performance. Simon said "that is a song performance I can hear on the radio", "that's how you make a song work", "terrific!", and "much better than last week".

The always-smiling Tim Urban (no relation that we know of to top country artist Keith Urban) was up next. "All My Loving" was his song choice and I thought he did a great job on it. Randy said he is thinking "Is it a good 'Tim' performance" and thought it was 'much better than the last couple of weeks'. Randy also asked about his 'Beatle-looking haircut', and said "I like the hairdo". Ellen thought tonight's performance was Tim's "second best performance after "Hallelula' and it was very good" and she also said "the girls go crazy" over him. Kara said it 'was his best performance with the guitar" and she said "you can smile'. Simon said "You did really well tonight, no gimmicks, didn't try to 'oversing' it" and said "you take the criticism like a man" and "I'm really proud of you."
Tim Urban said "I really enjoyed that performance!"

Casey James, of the blonde curly hair, sang "Jealous Guy", written by John Lennon. Randy said "I love that you're playing the acoustic guitar", and "You set yourself apart", "I love this" and "I really felt that."

Ellen said "That was your best performance to date," and that it was "soulful". She also said "I was moved by it" and "You have a great voice". Kara said "You showed vulnerability, and showed depth", and "You have a range, you know your voice". Kara also said, "We said 'push yourself' and you have". Simon thought it "was the best performance of the night so far" and thought Casey put his "stamp on the song", Simon continued " I'm very, very impressed with you tonight. Ryan Seacrest commented that "it was believable".

Someone close to me said, while we were watching the show, "Casey James has got the looks, he's got the voice, he's got the talent. He's going to be a great star!" I must say, I do agree!

Siobhan Magnus was up next and I thought it was a great performance, but I was not familar with the song she chose.
Randy said "I love watching you", and "Nobody screams 'artist' like you" and "I love see the tender side of you."
Ellen said, "You march to the beat of your own drum" and "I thought it was beautiful". Kara said "You showed control", and "You were restrained, polite", and "I'm not sure you would hear that on the radio". Simon asked her about her song choice and Siobhan said "I'm here for my baby sisters who are my whole world". Simon said "You came back much stronger, you are always unpredictable" . Siobhan said she and some of the other contestants talk among themselves and she says to herself "Holy Smokes, this is big!"

Last, but not least, was Lee DeWyze with his version of "Hey Jude", and almost seemed to lose focus with a bag-pipe player coming out toward the end of the performance. Randy said "You don't have to be nervous, you got this!" and told him "Believe!" Ellen said she like his "confidence", and "it was a great job" and "loved it". Kara said that in spite of some 'off moments', "I'm still a fan". Simon said he "thought it was funny" about a bagpipe player coming out during the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment