Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Some Old Toys are still around after 50 years



Some old toys are still around after 50 years.
What are some of the most enduring toys of the past 50 years?

According to the Dec. 2009 issue of the AARP Bulletin, 'some toys have real staying power'. In a listing of 50 toys which have been around for 50 years I find many that I know quite well. I still have some in my home from toys which my own children received and enjoyed over the past 45 years.

There is the old and perennial favorite, Lego Blocks, of which I probably have 2 or 3 buckets left- they are waiting until 2 year old grandson, Jacob, graduates from his Big Blocks.

Lincoln Logs were a really popular item and I have old home movies of my nephew from the early 1960's building a fort with those.

Silly Putty was always a big hit with my kids and with all the kids I babysat over the years. A big imagination and nimble hands was all you needed to enjoy this toy.

And who can forget the Wiffle Ball (and wiffle bat) and the many games played out in the front yard? I still have early home movies of the kids enjoying this toy from days of old.

Wooly Willy was a fun thing, using the magnetic toy to put hair or beards or mustaches on the grumpy old man's face.

The Jack-in-the-box dates back many years, and remains an entertaining toy for grownups and children alike.

Magic 8-ball? I do still have one of those on my dresser, and yes, it still lights up! What do I ask it? Now you know...I'll never tell!

Ahhhh, Barbie Doll!! Who knew how long you would live and how great you would be. You travelled the globe and flew through the skies and always looked just superb! But it seems all your great matched outfits have now become pretty bits and pieces scattered throughout the old toybox. And your neighbor, G.I. Joe waits in the toybox, too, but I think he has lost his ammo and his little toy guns.

Tinkertoys seemed to fit right in there with the Lincoln Logs and the Lego Blocks for the young boy or girl who learned from them to create so many things, using an imagination supreme!

Candy Land sits on my bookshelf and still remains an old friend of the family.

The board games of Sorry and Chutes and Ladders are still in the top of the closet, just waiting for the next generation of youngsters to find them.

Ahh, Slinky, how well I remember you and the tricks you could play. You went up and down the stairs so easily and entertained us with your slick moves.

The Hula Hoop has gone the way of the wind, and I think it got donated to the local Goodwill store. Do the kids of today know or even care that their parents used to twist and turn around the yard trying to keep that Hula Hoop aloft?

Yatzee is on the shelf and I even have a "Mickey Mouse' version of Yatzee that just waits for my young grandson to discover it.

Yes, I still have a Viewmaster (or two) hanging out in the old toybox, with some of the early Viewmaster film strips scattered here and there.

Clue is probably hanging out in top of the closet just waiting to be re-discovered and enjoyed for many more hours.

Monopoly got used so much the box wore out and the Monopoly money is floating all around the old toy box, waiting on someone to pick it all up and set up the bank and play again.

The Duncan Yo-Yo-s are mixed in with the other toys, still reminiscent of the kids trying to 'go to the moon' or to 'walk the dog' or whatever yo-yo feat was going on at the time.

An updated version of Scrabble awaits your pleasure at my house. This one does have a board that revolves around to each player.

There are still some Frisbees on top of my house, I am sure that is what I saw the other day. Plus some in the garage and who knows where else, in the car trunk, under the sofa, in the next door neighbor's yard, possibly up under the crawl space under the house.

I bought some Play-doh the other day for my niece Jennifer's little boys. So now the next generation has been introduced to that old fav.

Yes, even after close to 50 years of hanging around my house, all those old toys are still good and waiting for the next user to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment